Painting the exterior of your home is done to boost its curb appeal.
It should also be done to change a color you don't like or simply to refresh an old paint job. It is a large job that requires proper planning, preparation and tools. In most cases, it is best to call a professional. Before you call one however, there are a few factors that will affect your budget.
How Much Does It Cost to Paint a House?
Homeowners are typically charged an average of $2,814 with a typical range between $1,694 and $3,935. The average price is from $0.50 to $3.50 per square foot depending on your location, condition of your exterior and accessibility. Stucco and brick tend to cost more than vinyl or wood and can run from an average of $1 per square foot more. A 2,500 square feet home costs an average of $4,000, but it can also range from $1,250 to $8,750.
Average Cost to Paint a Home Exterior
Painting an average home between 1,500 and 2,500 square feet can cost between $1,000 and $6,000. The estimates are primarily based on the area of walls or siding, not simply the home’s square feet. Pricing depends heavily on a few factors.
- Material type. Wood and vinyl cost $1 to $2 per square foot less than brick or stucco. of course, the taller the building, the higher the price. The harder to reach areas require extra equipment, setup time and cleanup. The extra time translates to extra cost. There are also regional price differences to reflect cost of living.
Estimating the area of a Painting JobA 2,300 square foot home does not always have 2,300 square feet of paintable walls. More likely, you’ll end up with anywhere from 1,600 to 2,700 square feet of paintable area for this home size. The are two simple steps to estimate the total coverage area:
- Total Finished Area: measure the perimeter of your home and multiply by the height.
- Total Paintable Area: Subtract the area of doors and windows from the total finished area. A standard door is 21 square feet. A standard window is 12 square feet.
Once you have the total area, head over to our paint calculator to find out how much you’ll need. If you have any difficult-to-measure architectural elements, a professional may be needed for a detailed quote.
Exterior House Painting Cost Per Square Foot
It’ll cost anywhere from $0.50 to $3.50 per square foot to hire a painter for the exterior of your home. Most people pay between $0.75 to $2 per square foot for the total project. Your location, the condition of your exterior and ease of access all affect the overall cost of the project.
Cost to Paint a 2-Story House Exterior vs. Ranch-Style
A two-story home can cost as much as 50 percent more to paint than a one-story home. The harder it is to reach an area; the more time spent adjusting scaffolding and ladders. More time spent on a job equals higher costs.
Average Cost To Paint An Exterior
Average Square Footage:
- Single story - $1,500-$3,500
- Two story - $3,000-$6,200
- Three story - $4,500-$10,000
The cost to paint a small house runs $500 to $4,000. A 1,000-square-foot home with little prep on one story might only take $500 in some areas while the same square footage in a two-story house with limited accessibility might reach $4,000 or more. Height increases the expenses of painting.
- Add 30% above 8 feet.
- Add 60% above 13 feet.
- Add 90% above 17 feet.
- Add 120% above 19 feet.
Exterior Paint Price Per GallonA single gallon of paint can run anywhere from $20 to $80 per gallon. Professionals get a contractor discount of anywhere from 25 to 50 percent. For rough siding, like stucco, you’ll need to use 10 to 20 percent more paint. Some textures, like wood and stucco, require extra paint because they have more surface to cover in a tiny area comparied to smooth siding.. Use the highest quality exterior paint your budget will allow for your project. It will look the nicest and save you money by offering better coverage and durability. Better coverage means fewer coats and fewer work hours. You’ll also go a few years longer without needing to shell out more cash for a new coat. How do you know how much paint you're paying for? Here's some helpful math:
- The average 2,500 square foot home has about 2,100 square feet of paintable area.
- 2,100 square feet takes about 12 gallons.
- 2,100 / 350 = 6 x 2 = 12 gallons. 350 is the average coverage for a gallon of paint.
- For one coat for 12 gallons: Low-quality for $30 = $360. High-quality for $70 = $840.
- Always double the number you'll need because it usually takes two coats to cover a home’s exterior.
- The same math holds true for painting costs on most projects.
Exterior Paint Labor CostMost of a projects price is the cost of labor at $25 to $75 per hour. However, most contractors bid out based on the entire project which includes all work hours. Hourly rates are only useful if your pro asks to do the job as “time and materials.” However, be wary of this pricing structure, it usually shows the contractor is uncertain how long the project will take.
Average Costs to Paint SidingYou’ll spend anywhere from $1 to $4.50 per square foot to paint the exterior siding of a home. Material type plays a large role in the type of paint and amount of time spent on your project.
Cost to Paint a House Exterior StuccoYou can expect to pay anywhere from $1,400 to $6,000 to have stucco revitalized with paint. Installing new stucco siding costs only slightly more at $1,750 to $6,500.For damaged siding, consider simply replacing it.For the total finished area, you’ll pay $1.50 to $3.50 per square foot. There are multiple reasons for the increase in price:
- Stucco siding requires extensive preparation work (cleaning, caulking, filling in cracks, etc.).
- It’s very rough, meaning paint that would cover 350 square feet of smooth area might only cover 150-200 square feet of stucco.
- Done properly, it takes slightly longer than typical siding.
Cost to Paint Vinyl SidingExpect to pay between $600 to $3,500 or $1.25 to $3 per square foot to coat vinyl, with prices likely increasing for the finish. It is one of the more inexpensive siding materials to have repainted, especially with recent innovations in materials. Changing the finish on your siding is not recommended unless it's completely degraded and worn away by the weather. You can save nearly half the vinyl siding installation cost of $4 per square foot by painting rather than replacing.Before adding a new coat to vinyl siding,
- clean and repair any damage.
Cost to Paint Wood SidingYou can expect to pay between $700 to $3,000 to paint wood siding. You’ll end up spending $1 to $3 per square foot, but typically you’ll find this material is cheaper than brick or vinyl. Wood requires some type of sealant, be it paint, stain or oil. Lumber takes well to a wide variety of coverings giving you endless options for modern, contemporary or classic looks. Some things to consider when choosing wood:
- Wood requires more frequent maintenance, typically every 3-5 years for stains and 5-10 years for paint – or when it begins to visibly peel. Although wood is easy to repair, rot and other damage does increase the price.
House Painters Cost for Concrete SidingYou’ll spend between $500 and $3,000 or $1 to $3.50 per square foot to paint concrete. However, expect to pay $2 to $7 per square foot since concrete almost always needs a coat of primer first. Double that price if the concrete requires stripping. Concrete is porous. Sealing it not only helps blend foundations and walls with your home’s aesthetic, but also seals it against water. Repairing or resurfacing concrete costs $300 to $500 for every 100 square feet.
Paint Metal/Aluminum SidingThe cost to paint metal siding falls between $400 and $3,500. Most metals, even corrosion-resistant types like aluminum and galvanized steel, can use a protective coat of paint. Consider the following before beginning your project.
- In some instances, a simple cleaning will suffice to prepare the siding. More often, you’ll need to remove the old covering and etch the metal with acid or use a specialized metal paint.
- In worst cases, professionals will need to repair metal that is rusted, damaged or missing pieces due to climate conditions.
- In severe cases, you might consider a new installation. Metal siding installation costs $4,000 to $13,500.
Painting a Brick Home
Painting a brick house costs $3,500 to $10,500. At $1.50 to $4.50 per square foot,it’s one of the most expensive materials to cover. Because brick is porous and rough, a gallon only covers about 250 square feet. Like concrete, brick requires a primer to help it adhere.
Cost to Repaint a HouseRepainting a home costs anywhere from $1 to $5 per square foot or $1,000 to $10,000 total. There are several cost factors to consider:
- Size and configuration of the home. Expect complex layouts to increase the price.
- Multiple stories and hard to reach areas increase the time it’ll take.
- Prep work can double the cost. Preparing a home requires fixing siding, filling holes, sanding, power washing, scraping and priming the surface.
Exterior Paint EstimatorWhen determining the total cost of a home’s exterior project, you’ll want to include things like the trim, a garage, foundation, windows and doors. All work is calculated by square footage and sometimes by the linear foot, such as in the case of trim. Your contractor will give you a price for the entire project unless you specifically ask for each item separately.
Cost to Paint a GarageThe average 18-foot by 20-foot garage with 10-foot-high walls costs $600 to $300 to paint. Material type and whether it is attached or not help define the price. You can also choose to simply update the door, floor and driveway for inexpensive curb appeal.
- Garage door painting costs $200 to $500.
- Garage floor coating costs $1,500 to $3,000
Cost to Paint Exterior Trim or Window TrimPainting trim costs $1 to $3 per linear foot. If you’re getting your trim done at the same time as the siding, your contractor includes this in the quote.
Fascia, Soffit & EavesPainting a fascia and soffits $2.50 to $5.50 per square foot. Replacing fascia or soffits costs $600 to $6,000. It is often more cost-effective to replace them altogether.
Cost to Paint ShuttersPainting shutters costs $50 to $150 each. When combined with your entire exterior, it’ll fall within the $1 to $4.50 per square foot range.
Deck & Patio Staining or PaintingStaining a deck costs $540 to $1,000. Covered porches might hit $2,000. Consider negotiating the price a bit lower by combining it with a full exterior job.
Painting Handrails Painting handrails can run anywhere from $1 to $2 per linear foot, depending on whether it’s wood, metal or some other material. Although you might think this is an easy $30 to $100 job, most pros charge a minimum fee regardless of the size of the project. You’ll probably end up paying at least $150.
Painting Additional Exterior Features
If you decide to paint additional features around your home, some professionals might include them as part of a package. Others will charge for them separately. Check with potential professionals on these items before settling on a contract. Costs will likely fall in the following ranges:
|Door Painting Costs||$70-$350|
|Gutters & downspouts||$200-$800|
Painting Prep Work CostsPrepping a house costs anywhere from $0.50 to $2.50 per square foot. This is almost always included in the total project price. However, the DIYer might negotiate some discounts for completing this work on their own. Be warned, proper prep is key to the quality and durability of the finish. If you do this work yourself, the contractor might no guarantee to finished product.
- Patching: $0.50-$1.50 per square foot.
- Repairs varies by the material type but expect to pay anywhere from $25-$50 per hour.
- Scraping, sanding and stripping: $0.50-$2.50 per square foot.
- Power washing costs $220-$380.
- Caulking and masking: $0.50-$1 per square foot.
DIY vs. Having Your House PaintedIf you have two weeks, a ladder and some experience, this makes an excellent DIY project. On most surfaces, it is forgiving of mistakes and easy to work with. Correcting mistakes only adds more time and not much more expense. However, a professional will get it done faster and with a better finish. If you don’t have 2 to 3 weeks to spare, find a professional painter near you today.
Cost to Paint a House Exterior YourselfIt’ll cost you between $500 and $1,000 to paint the exterior yourself. Not including paint, it’ll cost you no more than $200 to $300 at a home improvement store like Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. You may end up spending more if you buy high-quality products from specialized shops. Professionals can get the same supplies for about half what you’ll pay.
|Rollers and rolling handles||$15-$30|
|Sprayer & Power Rollers||$100-$2,000|
|Drop cloths||$10-$30 each|
|Caulk||$2-$8 per tube|
|Masking Tape||$2-$5 per roll|
Getting House Painting QuotesQuotes are almost always free, quick and often completed in one day. An experienced pro will often give you a price during a home visit.
- Never take a quote without the pro visiting your home.
- Always get at least three quotes.
- Always ask for references and check painter reviews.
- Take the time to inspect their previous work.